After receiving quite a few requests for a lightweight alternative to the default Ubuntu Desktop environment I have added Xubuntu Desktop to my Raspberry Pi 4 Ubuntu 18.04 LTS preinstalled image builds! The Xubuntu version feels much snappier and more responsive on the Pi. It also uses less overall memory freeing it up to do other things on your Pi.
Project Home / Downloads
The project home page is available at: https://github.com/TheRemote/Ubuntu-Server-raspi4-unofficial/
Downloads are available at: https://github.com/TheRemote/Ubuntu-Server-raspi4-unofficial/releases/
- Fully 64-bit kernel and userspace environment
- Updates normally via apt dist-upgrade from the official Ubuntu repositories
- Raspberry Pi userland utilities included (vcgencmd, dtoverlay, etc.)
- raspi-config utility included (good for enabling I2C, SPI, etc.)
- Uses the official 4.19.y Raspbian linux kernel built with arm64 flags
- Firmware updates from the Raspbian image and the RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree repository
- 3D video hardware acceleration support via vc4-fkms-v3d stack. Videos / games are giving very high and smooth FPS.
- Includes kernel headers and the full kernel source tree used to build a kernel with your own custom flags (/usr/src/ directory)
- Can build out-of-tree and DKMS modules
- Full desktop support available via apt install kubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop, xfce4, mate-desktop-environment, etc.
- 5 GHz WiFi channel support
- Working Bluetooth and WiFi
- KVM virtualization support
- Update script provided to update kernels/firmware/modules
The best place to get support is at the GitHub issues page.
Also make sure to see my original post for the Ubuntu unofficial image project at https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-4-ubuntu-server-desktop-18-04-3-image-unofficial/ which has more information!